Webinar: Discharges for facility managers and technicians

Posted on : Friday, 10 August 2018

Board member Daniel Wilson answers participant questions following the 7 August 2018 webinar on discharges for facility managers and technicians.


 I hear you need a licence with FPIB enough though I have one with QBCC in Queensland. Is this correct?

Yes it is. You do need a licence with the Fire Protection Industry Board even if you have one in Queensland. The Fire Protection Industry Board is handling the Regulations from a national perspective, so if you are handling these agents or installing them, you do need to get EAHL licence to be able to work with them.


If we report a discharge do we get fined?

One of the reasons we ask people to report discharges is because the Board wants to collect the information to provide more information back to industry about minimising these discharges in the future. I am not aware of anyone who has been fined for reporting a discharge. It's all around educating the industry and trying to provide information back.


Do warehousing staff need an EAHL for non-bulk storage?

If you have warehousing staff that are storing the cylinders, even for non-bulk storage then you need to have a warehousing licence. A warehousing licence is to make sure they're looking after the cylinders in terms of how they check for leaks, how they store them, making sure they're safe. If the cylinders are in transit, from one company to the next, if you're the transport company then you don't need to have a licence. If you're not the transport company and you're storing non-connected cylinders, and when I say non-connect cylinders, I mean cylinders that aren't fixed in a system, then you need to have a warehouse licence to manage the stores of agent you are keeping.


To what extent is the industry moving away from HFC-based agents ahead of equipment getting to end of life?

There's certainly a change in what we've seen in Australia over the last few years, of using these ODS SGG agents, we've seen a change of people shifting, probably more towards inert agents, and there's a number of reasons for that. And so, either IG-55 or IG-541 are probably the two most common agents used today in Australia, so there certainly has been a shift. Those two agents have a lot better environmental footprint, no depletion on ozone layer or contribute to global warming. Also a lot more accessible now when compared to what they used to.


Can you advise of the actual QBCC licence required to work with gaseous suppression agents in Queensland?

Special Hazards Suppression Systems. Licensing information specific to this licence class is available here.


While an EAHL is not required when working on non-prescribed gases, is there a position about extending this to other systems given the system pressures/person safety risks?

At the moment, the licensing for ODS and SGG is in regulation for these types of agents, however there is a voluntary scheme in the industry for these agents through FPAS where we certainly as a best practice, technicians should go through that same training scheme. The training itself does cover a wide range of systems but also it goes through and highlights the changes and differences in the systems and those that have effects on the environment. View the presentation here.

Return to News & Media